Sunday, 11 September 2011

Application Letter

Blk 123 Pasir Ris Drive 1 #03-321
Singapore 123456

11th September, 2011


One Fullerton
1 Fullerton Road #02-01
Singapore 049213

Application for Researcher Position

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am currently a final year Environmental Science and Engineering undergraduate at the National University of Singapore, with a keen interest in the global energy industries. I am delighted to learn of the opportunity to work as an entry-level Researcher in your esteemed organization through the advertisement on NUS Career Centre’s E-Job Centre.

The scope of my course has equipped me with the quantitative and qualitative skills to handle multi-tasks concurrently and effectively; such as having to meet tight project deadlines, work with different team-mates and do well in my courses while pursuing my interest in co-curricular activities. Assuming various leadership roles in the course of my education, I understand that discipline and self-motivation are essentials to lead and keep the team motivated to excel and win. The success of my teams bears good interpersonal skills, my goal-orientation and drive to succeed.

During my summer internship as an Investment Banking Operations Analyst with Credit Suisse, I demonstrated my ability to manipulate data within Microsoft Excel, revamping the presentation methods of the management information and also automating the process of the report production. In recognition of my work, I was awarded a certificate for outstanding contributions towards Operational Excellence. My previous working experience in a call-centre environment with Starhub allowed me to hone my qualities in critical thinking and communications; such as in a situation where I have to pacify a disputive customer, while analyzing the root of the dispute and offering the best possible solution. During my service with Starhub, I also received complimentary emails on good service, which testifies for my meticulous nature and trustworthiness in my work when dealing with sensitive information, such as personal information and monetary issues.

I am willing to learn and improve myself, at the same time, expand my network and improve my knowledge of the working life and I believe that this position would provide me with the ideal opportunity to obtain a stepping stone into the working world. My ability to grasp new concepts quickly and perform tasks efficiently can make me an asset of the team. Enclosed is my resume with further background information.

Please contact me at (65) 96365596 or through email at bernard.lim.qh@gmail.com if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Bernard Lim

3 comments:

  1. Hello Bernard,
    I liked your cover letter in general. If I were an employer, I would consider your application and invite you to attend an interview ;)
    However, I did not like the second paragraph where you just enumerate your qualifications without any feasible examples. In my opinion, every skill or qualification you mention should be argumented or illustrated. Maybe You can combine paragraph 2 and 3 in just one paragraph..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nesrine,

    Thanks for the comment!
    I actually listed the activities and leadership roles in the resume itself but I was felt that it might be too wordy to put in the cover letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bernard,
    You have a very good cover letter in my opinion. I think you linked your various experiences witht the post that you are applying for very nicely and also used the 7Cs in writing to great effect. Great job.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete